From Conservative Home
What are the party's clear and simple messages?
Conservatives want to give people more control over their lives. Check
We want to encourage a new generation of homeowners. Check, but how pay?
We want headteachers to have more control over their schools. Big Check
We want real choice for patients. Not sure what this really means.
Tax is too high and so we will share the proceeds of growth. Who will have it cut? Does he think City salaries represent a free market? (it didn't when I was paying salesmen not to take their clients away)
We will mend Britain's broken society. In the 1970s the problem was irresponsible unions - today it's irresponsible parents. Then it was inflation. Now it's crime. So are things ALWAYS crap? Will he admit that some of the 'breaking' happened when unemployment increased by 2m in 2 years?
The overall aim is a safer, greener country. Conservatives will tax pollution - not families. Like it. But will he add 10p to a litre of petrol?
Opportunity, Responsibility and Family are the new Conservative watchwords.
Overall, not a bad message, you might expect from a PR guru. The question is whether he represents 20 or 70% of his party, or whether there is as large a wing of Mail-ite/blogosphere-like ultras saying "we'll nod along to this guff till we get back".
- The Swing
- Grown up thinking on Conservative Home
- Cameron speaking at the Conservative club
- Fabian Review part II: Shock! as Britain found to ...
- Iain Dale in the Fabian Review: we agree!
- Dammit, they don't even come from here
- Nick Clegg
- Oh s***e I'm becoming biased part II
- This is why barriers to entry are sometimes a good...
- The worst blog I have (tried to) read so far
- What I mean by living in a bubble world
- Beginning to like the Lib Dems
- "Funny, all of my mates are Tory ... ."
- Did we need Thatcher?
- What I like about libertarianism
- Citizen-centred Welfare
- Supply side arguments
- Education: the "core" principles of each party are...
- Why can't government run as easily as this?
- Oh s***e I'm becoming biased
- Once I wrote a poem
- Two angles on Rule by Others
- A more human take on citizenship
- Cultural Conservatism as the Answer to Everything
- Explaining myself
- ▼ September (25)