I was determined that this blog should in some way live up to its title. I have been a swing voter, and intend to genuinely consider my political affiliation as being up for grabs, particularly given the immersion in politics I hope to achieve in the next few months. But instead I have just been blowing off about how unpleasant the more reactionary kind of Tory columnist is. As if that gets any marks for originality.
So, I should remember some of the things about the Left that most irritate me:
- the assumption that all money-making is zero-sum, stealing, rather than often a reward for innovation, hard work and skill
- denying the individual basic liberties like the right to spend your money on your kid's education
- control from the centre - ethical authoritarianism
- disingenuous attitudes towards war e.g. if you order soldiers into war you are a murderer
- failing to grasp the usefulness of market mechanisms and how this does not mean you are a fascist. E.g. student fees are a GOOD idea.
If I had the eons of time of other bloggers I would no doubt link to examples of each of these, but you get my drift.
- The Swing
- Grown up thinking on Conservative Home
- Cameron speaking at the Conservative club
- Fabian Review part II: Shock! as Britain found to ...
- Iain Dale in the Fabian Review: we agree!
- Dammit, they don't even come from here
- Nick Clegg
- Oh s***e I'm becoming biased part II
- This is why barriers to entry are sometimes a good...
- The worst blog I have (tried to) read so far
- What I mean by living in a bubble world
- Beginning to like the Lib Dems
- "Funny, all of my mates are Tory ... ."
- Did we need Thatcher?
- What I like about libertarianism
- Citizen-centred Welfare
- Supply side arguments
- Education: the "core" principles of each party are...
- Why can't government run as easily as this?
- Oh s***e I'm becoming biased
- Once I wrote a poem
- Two angles on Rule by Others
- A more human take on citizenship
- Cultural Conservatism as the Answer to Everything
- Explaining myself
- ▼ September (25)